Srinagar: A video has surfaced showing how Kashmiri youth helped one of the aides of “most wanted” Lashkar-e-Toiba militant Naveed Jatt flee the spot in Budgam district where an encounter was taking place on Wednesday morning. Two rebels , including Jatt, were killed by Govt forces in Kuthpora village this morning. However, their third aide was led to safety by youth.
Notably, in October, Army Chief General Bipin Rawat had said that stone pelters in Jammu and Kashmir are overground workers of militant groups, advocating stern action against them.
Director General of Police Dilbagh Singh had earlier today told the media that security forces do their best to ensure that civilians were not harmed during anti-rebel operations.
“Stone pelting incidents have come down. Lesser the number of militants, better for the people. Youths should desist from going to encounter sites. The militant outfits are unable to recruit more youths. With fresh infiltration, sometimes the number of militants operating here goes up,” he said.
A gun battle had broken out after forces launched a cordon and search operation in Budgam this morning on the tip-off as regards the presence of militants there. As the security personnel began carrying out searches, the militants opened fire. Consequently, the forces retaliated.
Internet services have been shut in Budgam as a precautionary measure. Jatt is said to be behind the assassination of journalist Shujaat Bukhari outside his office in the heart of Srinagar in June this year.
2,456 total views, 0 views today